During the period of the Second World War, the Quadrifoglio (Cloverleaf) was the symbol attributed to Alfa Romeo Racing cars. The Quadrifoglio first made its appearance in 1923 when Ugo Sivocci- racing driver for Alfa Romeo driving in a three-man works team,
presented to his team a Quadrifoglio at the start of the 14thTarga Florio- an open road endurance automobile race held in the mountains of Sicily near Palermo, as a token of good luck.
As a result of this action it stamped itself as the symbol for Competition Alfas, indicating higher performance and prestige.
Post this era, modern Alfa Romeo models also differentiate between standard variants and performance variants using the Quadrifoglio Symbol (Green four leaf clover on a white background) as can be seen on the 145, Mito, GT and Giulietta.
These Quadrifoglio models are usually higher specked, performance based variants with larger engine capacities that push out higher outputs than their normal siblings. – Some variants of blue on white have also been witnessed.
Variants including the Alfettas in the 1980s sold a few, top of the range models including: the “Silver Leaf” and “Gold Leaf” (Quadrifoglio Oro).
This badge was the Alfa Cloverleaf in Gold or Silver to indicate the specification level on the Alfa.
Modern variants including the Mito and Giulietta have the Quadrifoglio Verde ‘Green Cloverleaf’ branding and also trace their heritage back to Ugo Sivicci and the Alfa Romeo Racing cars all those years ago.